It has never been a better time for changing your career and becoming a Yoga Teacher with many online courses available for people to access from the comfort of their own home. Below is a quick guide to help you on your path of becoming a Certified Yoga Teacher within Australia.
To become certified, you must do your training through a Registered Yoga School.
- Become a certified Yoga Teacher through a Registered Yoga School (RYS) accredited with Yoga Alliance (International-Australia)
- Become a certified Yoga Teacher through providers registered with Yoga Australia
- Become a certified Yoga Teacher through an independent Yoga School
The reasons to become a certified Yoga Teacher are:
- To give you credibility
- It covers all of the skills and training you require to professionally teach Yoga to the general public
- You will need your certification to work in a studio, gym or other fitness/ wellness workplace
- You must have certification to acquire insurance
What are the Australian Government Regulations?
At present, there is no official government department within Australia that regulates the yoga industry. The affiliation with Yoga organisations is a voluntary process not a bylaw requirement.
What’s the Minimum Hours for Certification?
The internationally recognised 200 hours is the minimum qualification required for a yoga teacher to be employed in Australia and work in a Yoga Studio, gym or other wellness organisation and to apply for insurance. In Australia, Yoga Alliance (International Australia) approved Teacher Training school can teach the 200 hour certification.
The 200 minimum Standard for yoga training courses was first introduced in 1987 by the International Yoga Federation (the largest yoga body in the world). The 200 hours Standard has been adopted by the most significant Alliances namely Yoga Alliance (International- Australia), Yoga Alliance (Canada), Yoga Alliance Professionals UK) and Yoga Alliance (International Italia).
Once your training is complete with an accredited school, you can apply to become a member of Yoga Alliance (International Australia) where you will be listed on their database, apply for insurance and have the certification to teach Yoga recognised around the world.
Once you have your Yoga Alliance certification you can then use the designated trademarks to promote your Yoga School or Studio.